Internal Verification Policy
- We will consider any request for this policy to be made available in an alternative format or language. Please contact: Training Manager
- We review our policies regularly to update them and to ensure that they are accessible and fair to all. We welcome suggestions for improving the accessibility or fairness of this policy.
- All our policies are subject to equality impact assessments. We are always keen to hear from anyone who wishes to contribute to these impact assessments. Please contact: Training Manager
- This policy should be read and implemented with the accompanying Internal Verification Procedure.
Internal Verification (IV) is the process of monitoring assessment practice in order to ensure that assessment decisions meet national standards. It provides a continuous check on the consistency, quality and fairness of the assessment of learners work.
The Inspire is committed to ensuring that standards of assessment and verification are consistent, transparent and in line with the requirements of our awarding bodies.
We aim to:
- Ensure that all learners work is fairly, accurately and regularly verified in a consistent manner.
- Meet and exceed the requirements placed upon us by the awarding bodies.
- Ensure that valid assessment decisions are reached for all our learners and that external requirements are fully met.
- Support staff in their training and assessment activities by affording them the opportunity to receive critically supportive feedback on the assessment decisions reached.
- Assess learners work with integrity being consistent and transparent in our assessment and verification judgments and processes so that the outcomes are fair, reliable and valid.
- Ensure that assessment standards and specifications are implemented fully, so that no risk is posed to the reputation of the Inspire and that of the awarding bodies.
- Establish quality control and recording mechanisms for assessments through a system of sampling moderation and internal verification.
- Provide inclusive “person – centered” approaches to assessment, and verification that provide opportunities to learners to achieve and progress.
This policy relates to the Inspire accredited courses and applies to all internal moderation.
For the purpose of this policy, the term “IV” encompasses all forms of activity that check and validate assessment. It may be implemented through the systems of verification as required or laid down by examining or awarding bodies; or it may occur through formative and summative assessment and verification of learners work activities.
All staff should have a responsibility to give full and active support for the policy, and ensures as under:-
- The policy is known, understood and implemented. Proper actions are taken to implement and develop the policy.
- Appropriately qualified or approved staff must carry out all internal verification. Ideally all verification staff will complete the approved internal verification award. Where trainee internal verifier undertakes IV, the report should be verified by a qualified IV and countersigned.
- Each course must have identified members of staff who will verify or standardize the assessments for that particular programme.
- IV must be carried out continuously throughout the year. This should include cycles of formative and summative verifications. In addition to this, appropriate periods of time when IV takes place will be included in a calendar.
- Any evidence that is produced must meet the requirements of the awarding bodies.
- IV evidence must be recorded on appropriate documentation, which takes into account the requirements of awarding bodies Quality System.
- Internal verification must take place before assessment decisions are finalized and notified to students and certification is requested.
- Evidence that IV practice has taken place must be available for the Awarding Bodies annual quality review.
- Internal monitoring of IV activity will be carried out by the Training Unit team on an ongoing basis.
- Records of IV must be kept in a secure location and accessed by staff authorized to do so.
- All IV or moderation must be in line with current Awarding Body recommendations.
- Sampling must be across all trainers, assessors, all types of evidence and all learners including plans, reviews and records in addition to learners’ evidence.
- Internal evaluators must attend standardization meetings and maintain a current continuous professional development file.
Monitoring and Evaluation
This policy will be monitored by the Training Manager/General Manager and verifiers and through established quality audit procedures.